Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Making Hard Decisions

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking that I should probably NOT participate in this weekend's Gladiator Run. Although I have waited all year for this, I'm just not ready. Yesterday I bent over and got a horrible headache and some dizziness. Obviously the symptoms from my vertigo are not completely gone. A friend of mine had vertigo and it took him two and a half months for all the symptoms to end. I have heard similar stories from others. I am about a month and a half into this already. I do feel tons better than before, but I am obviously not at 100%. I hadn't had any symptoms for three days until I tried bending over all the way (bending over to pick things up is actually fine...attempting yoga poses, not so much. LOL)

I'm not worried about the running part of Gladiator. I'm worried about the obstacles. I am wondering whether or not an obstacle might set off some symptoms. I'm not sure how I am going to feel climbing high walls or cargo nets. I dislike heights but I actually love cargo nets; however, I'm worried that being that high and having to look down will cause some dizziness. I'm wondering if the intensity of the course will just be too much for me.

It's also an hour drive to the event and I would be driving by myself. If something does happen and I wind up with some dizziness or light headedness, how the heck am I going to drive an hour to get back home? 

Besides having symptoms from vertigo, I haven't trained in 2 months. I'm not ready for this. I will probably make a last minute decision but right now I am leaning towards not doing it and oddly enough, I actually feel peace about it, although this is something I have looked forward to for months. I finally know how other athletes feel when they're sidelined and have to sit something out that they've been wanting to do. It stinks. But I also have the Pittsburgh Great Race at the end of the month that I really want to do and I would hate to have something happen at the Gladiator Run that might also knock me out of doing the Great Race. Although my running stinks, that is something I can do without having any problems so I plan on doing the Great Race even if it means coming in last because I'm slower than a turtle. :)

Gladiator may have to wait one more year.

No comments:

Post a Comment