Sunday, July 6, 2014

5k update!

Well, it's been a couple weeks since I ran my 5K. Lots of stuff going on so I haven't had much time to update about it.

All in all I had a really great time. I was up at 4am and picked up a friend and his mom around 5am. He was doing the half marathon while I ran the 5K. We got there, probably around 6am or so and got a great parking spot. That's one of the perks of arriving to these things early. :)

Running on pavement wasn't as bad as I thought it would be I think my body adjusted to it after a while. This was also my first time running with my iPod and I must say, 5Ks are a lot more fun for me when I have my music on. :)

I didn't run the whole thing but I came close. I finished in about 40 minutes which is actually 5 minutes better than when I am at the trail. My pace even improved! The weather was absolutely perfect and beautiful. It wasn't the 80 degrees it was supposed to be nor was it too humid. The 5K was held at a beautiful park so I had plenty of scenery to enjoy during my run.

Running a 5K is definitely much harder than a mud run. When I do obstacle courses, sometimes I'll run between obstacles but I usually just walk/hike. Then when you get to an obstacle, there's usually a wait line and you have time to take a breather. During a 5k it's all about running. And that is something I stink at right now.

However, I have registered for a Running 101 training group that begins next week. Maybe if I am training with other runners, it will push me more. The group is supposed to be working towards the goal of running the Pittsburgh Great Race 5k in September so I already registered for that because it sells out quickly. I have the Police Officers Down 5k in August, about 5 weeks after I begin training with this group so by then I hope to see how the training is paying off.


No comments:

Post a Comment