Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Things non-runners just don't understand

Ever since I began my fitness journey about two years ago, I have discovered that there are some major differences between runners and non-runners. I had no idea when I started on this journey that I would be facing some rather confusing looks and negative comments. I don't think non-runners or non-fitness people are always trying to be so negative. I think much of this just stems from ignorance and not really understanding "our kind" - after all, we are a wacky, crazy bunch. :)

Here are just some examples of things I have discovered that totally confuse non-runners.

"You pay to run?"

I've been doing mud runs and 5Ks for 2 years. I recently told a friend, who I have known the whole time, that I am being more choosey about what runs I do because it can be expensive. She replied, "You have to pay to do those?" Apparently she thought I've been doing these for free. Don't I wish!

The GPS watch

Mention your GPS watch and non-running friends look at you with confusion. They probably think it's like a GPS for your car, that you use to not get lost.


The "need" for running shoes

And if you run, it is definitely a "need", not just a "want."

Non-runner friends will tell you that you don't need running shoes or even new shoes to run. They think you can just put on the ones you have been wearing everyday for years and you'll be fine. I was one of those people. I remember when I started running and I was convinced that the whole "get a good pair of shoes" was some sort of marketing ploy by the shoe companies to get your money. I know differently now.

I got fitted for new shoes and discovered two things. 1) I've been wearing shoes all these years that were a half a size too big. And 2) I over-pronate especially in my right foot, meaning that my foot tends to roll inward when I walk or run. I used to twist my ankle so easily, even when I was just walking across the street. For years I just thought I had bad ankles. I wound up getting running shoes in the correct size and that supported my feet and gave me more stability to help the over-pronation. What a godsend! These shoes have made such a big difference. I know I should only use them while running, but I also use them for everyday activities, just because they're so much more comfortable than what I was wearing.

I once had a friend roll her eyes at me for buying new shoes just to run. She said I would be perfectly fine in $20 shoes from KMART. Yeah, sounds like something a non-runner would say. I don't believe you need to break the bank on a new pair of shoes, but I highly suggest getting fitted to make sure you are wearing the right size and don't have any issues like over-pronation. Then you can shop around or check out a site called The Clymb, where you can purchase name brand sports shoes for up to 70 percent off retail price. I got $120 trail running shoes for $60.

The need to hydrate

I'm not even sure why or how this is even an issue. I shared with a friend that I was trying to drink more water. She told me this was unnecessary because there is enough water in the food you eat. Um….okay.

Not sure where they heard/read that at, but when it comes to athletes and anyone who has an active lifestyle, you must hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Maybe when it comes to the average Joe who isn't active, then sure, maybe they don't need to hydrate as much. But I know my body. I know what happens when I go to MMA or take a run on the trail without hydrating beforehand and during, especially during the heat and humidity of summer, and it ain't pretty. Trust me!

"How can you go running while it's raining?"

Simple. Lace up and go. :)

I did a 3 hour mud run in a non-stop torrential downpour. Unless you're the Wicked Witch, rain isn't going to kill you. Even when it's just sprinkling, some of my friends react with surprise that I went for a run. I love running in the rain, as long as it's not cold or lightning. It amuses me to have conversations like this:

FRIEND: "Aw, guess you won't be able to run today."
ME: "Why not?"
FRIEND: "Because it's raining."


SMH.

None-runners. Gotta love 'em. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment