Tuesday, June 17, 2014

5K here I come!

My next event is this Sunday: The Peace, Love, and Run 5K. This is starting to get serious now. :)

I've done some Color Runs before, but mostly walked them all and over a year ago I did a 5K at a local church but that didn't go as planned because it was a very hilly course and I hadn't trained at all. For the past month or so I have finally become consistent with my training, even if it means getting on my treadmill because I can't make it to the trail. I have also become consistent with strength training to help build up some endurance as well as tone up and build some strength. So, this weekend is going to be the first time ever that I am going to attempt to actually run a whole 5K.

I'm still doing the running/walking thing but I am finding that as long as I start out slow and pace myself, I can keep running for a pretty good deal of time. I'm not sure what to expect this weekend. I am not looking forward to running on pavement.

I'm also on Day 2 of a new 40-day meal plan. No gluten or sugars allowed but a lot of protein, veggies and healthy fats/carbs. I'm amazed at how full I am throughout the day. I miss chocolate but keep reminding myself this is only for 40 days. I took a before picture yesterday and can't wait to see what happens at the end of the 40 days.

Two things have really helped with my training: music and God's Word. :) I am working on memorizing some scriptures that I can meditate on when I'm training or running in an event and want to give up. Here are a few of them:

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. . (Is 40:29-31)

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we are imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified. (1Corinthians 9:24-27)

Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ. (Colossians 3:23-24)
I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (phil 4:13)

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. (Hebrews 12:11-13)

As far as music is concerned, I created a workout playlist on my iPod and plan on running with it this weekend. I've noticed that the right songs can really motivate me and keep me going. A few of the songs on my list are:

Rocky theme song
Overcomer - Mandisa
Not Gonna Die - Skillet
Lose Yourself - Eminem
Invincible - Pat Benetar
Eye On It - Tobymac
Tourniquet - Evanesence
Numb - Linkin Park
Not Without a Fight - Pillar
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor

...it is pretty hard to not be motivated when any of the Rocky music is playing. :)

So, here's hoping I can complete a 5K in a decent amount of time and not pass out in the 80 degree heat. I already have my outfit picked out and hope I remember my GPS watch (the most important accessory of them all!)  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment